sexta-feira, 14 de agosto de 2009

Kim Clijsters claims Svetlana Kuznetsova scalp as comeback gathers pace

Clijsters, playing her first tournament in two years, defeated the sixth-seeded Russian 6-4, 4-6, 6-2 and will play either top seeded Russian Dinara Safina or China's Peng Shuai.

"Physically I've been training harder than ever," the Belgian said. "I didn't doubt myself (in the third set).

"I have to say I feel really good. I don't feel tired or drained or anything. Just a few little aches and pains from getting back into playing matches."


Kuznetsova wasn't the only upset victim on Thursday, as Italian Flavia Pennetta ousted third-seeded Venus Williams 7-6 (7/2), 6-4.

Williams had 38 unforced errors, including untimely forehands long in the first-set tiebreaker and a forehand over the baseline on match point.

"I wasn't able to get control of my ball today," Williams said. "After a while, it was obvious to see she was just keeping the ball in play and waiting for me to self-destruct."

Pennetta, fresh from a victory on Sunday in the tournament in Los Angeles, raised her arms in triumph as Williams' last forehand sailed long.

"I'm shaking," said the Italian, adding that such emotion was "very unusual" for her.

"Coming from Los Angeles, I didn't have many days to rest. I was playing like that yesterday, not my best tennis. I was tired. When everything comes together, the emotions go up."

Pennetta will play Slovakian Daniela Hantuchova, who advanced with a 7-6, 0-6, 7-6 victory over seventh-seeded Vera Zvonareva of Russia.

A few hours later, Venus's younger sister Serena played on the same court and played even worse. She had 44 unforced errors during a 7-5, 6-4 loss to Austria's Sybille Bammer, who reached the quarterfinals of a tournament for only the third time this year.

Eighth-seeded Dane Caroline Wozniacki also advanced as Hungary's Melinda Czink retired injured while trailing 3-0 in the opening set.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário