segunda-feira, 7 de setembro de 2009

Kim Clijsters : The Comeback Continues




NEW YORK, NY, USA - Kim Clijsters took one giant step closer to becoming just the third player ever to have a child then win a Grand Slam singles title, upsetting Venus Williams in a see-saw three-setter Sunday to move into the quarterfinals of the US Open. Serena Williams fared far better in her match.
Clijsters, playing her third event back after coming out of retirement in August and a wildcard into her first Grand Slam back, blanked Williams in the first set, 6-0, then received her own 0-6 blanking in the second set before edging the No.3-seeded American in a far tighter decider, 6-4. The match looked headed to go later into the third as Williams held a pair of break points in the final game.
"I felt like we were never playing our best tennis at the same time until the third set," Clijsters said. "I hadn't played one of the Williamses or Sharapova for a while, but I still had a good feeling I could have a chance against these girls. I feel like there's still a lot of improvement, but I feel I'm at a point where if I play well and stay consistent, I can make it tough for the other girls."
Clijsters is trying to become the third mother ever to win a Grand Slam singles title, after Margaret Court and Evonne Goolagong.
Williams is now 0-6 in her career after losing the first set at love.
Next up for Clijsters will be No.18 seed Li Na, who eased past No.26 seed Francesca Schiavone, 62 63. Li is the first Chinese player ever to reach the quarterfinals of the US Open. Schiavone had upset Victoria Azarenka.


Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário